North Penn Telephone Company was established in 1952 when Herman Wagner, of Prattsburgh, New York and other minority stockholders purchased the present service area. It occurred when Citizen Mutual Telephone and Telegraph Company of Sylvania, P.A. was sold and divided. The other portion of Citizens Mutual’s service area was purchased by Commonwealth Telephone Company.
North Penn’s service area is located South of the New York State border including portions of Tioga and Bradford counties. The area that North Penn serves is approximately 300 square miles and mostly rural.
When North Penn was established it had 6 exchange areas each with its own manual switchboard operators. In 1955, the areas began converting to dial service, starting with the Millerton exchange. Benefitting from REA borrowing program, North Penn was able to rebuild all of its outside plant. By 1959 it also converted all of its exchanges to dial service— which have since been consolidated into 3 exchange areas, 100% digital switching and 40 miles of fiber optic cable. North Penn has Equal Access and is connected to the SS7 network. It has offered Class services since year end 1998.
Approaching 2004 North Penn had nearly 5700 access lines — and 100% single party service. Being basically rural and residential, North Penn has only 9% business access lines.
Current officers are Brian Wagner - President, Jim Baase - COO, Frank Pilling - Vice President and Thomas Prestigiacomo - Secretary/Treasurer. Corporate business office is located in Prattsburgh, NY, with a local business office located in Mansfield (Roseville), PA.